After you have gathered information and narrowed your choices, you should begin to apply to your top schools. Here are some tips to help you get started. Remember, these are just suggestions, and you should always do what is best for your own personal situation.
1. Apply to a range of schools.
- Include one or two schools with a high acceptance rate.
- Include two to four schools that are good matches for you, with about a 75% chance of getting in.
- Include one or two schools that are very exclusive.
2. Don't apply to too many schools.
- You can wear yourself out from all of the effort. Be very critical of all aspects of the schools.
- Application fees usually average up to $50
3. Get your recommendations early.
- Many schools require one or more recommendations.
- Ask someone who knows you well and give them a list of your characteristics and activities to help them prepare a recommendation.
4. Be neat!
- Make a copy of the application to work on before you fill in the original.
- Typing your application is preferred, or you can simply print neatly for all application information.
- Have someone proof your application before you send it in.
5. Follow directions!
- All schools have their own requirements re: transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc. Make sure to check with the school before you submit your application.
- Sign your name in all necessary places.
- Try not to estimate financial figures.
6. Keep a copy for yourself and your records.
7. Mail your application early if possible.
8. Call the Admissions Office to make sure your application was received.