Oregon Student Child Care Grant
The application for the 2013-14 academic year is now open.
To access the application, please click on the link located in the
Application Process section below. The deadline for submission of the application
is May 31, 2013.
Preferences in Awarding:
- Preference #1: Prior year recipients who complete a new application, maintain a
child care provider registered with the Oregon Department of Human Services or registered/certified
with the Child Care Division of the Oregon Department of Employment, and submit
copies of transcripts and proof of child care expenses.
- Preference #2: New applicants who demonstrate financial need and are closest
to completing their academic goals.
The Oregon Student Child Care Grant Program was established to assist parents enrolled
in post-secondary education obtain safe, dependable care that supports their children’s
development while allowing completion of the parent’s academic programs.
To receive financial aid from this program an applicant must:
- Be an Oregon resident with a child or legal dependent age 12 and under in need of
child care, or, if over age 12, who satisfies the requirements of special needs;
- Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States;
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as an undergraduate at an Oregon postsecondary
institution (Oregon postsecondary institutions include Oregon
community colleges, public universities, and private universities. There are
some for-profit postsecondary institutions which have campuses in Oregon but are
owned by corporations based outside of Oregon. Enrollment at those non-Oregon
based institutions disqualifies applicants from receiving the Oregon Student Child
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress; and
- Not be in default on any federal Title IV loan or owing a refund on federal Title
IV funds previously disbursed.
Priority in Awarding:
Among applicants who meet the eligibility criteria of this program, priority in
the selection process shall be given in the following rank order:
- A prior recipient of benefits of the Student Child Care Grant who maintains satisfactory
academic progress as defined by this program, who has continuing financial need,
continues use of a provider who meets registration requirements, and who has not
exhausted maximum award eligibility.
- New applicants will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Financial need.
- Students’ credits earned toward a Certificate, Associates Degree, or first
- Use of childcare providers who are listed with the Oregon Department of Human Services,
or, registered or certified with the Oregon Child Care Division.
- Students enrolled full-time.
- Students enrolled half-time if awarded, you must enroll with sufficient hours to
earn 36 credit hours (24 at semester schools) per academic year.
Click on the link below to start the Oregon Student Child Care Grant application. The deadline for submission of the application is May 31, 2013.
Grant payments for student child care for eligible recipients will be disbursed
on a term/semester basis provided the student maintains satisfactory academic progress
and continues to have a child who qualifies under the rules of the program. Disbursement
is made directly to the post-secondary institution, not to the recipient or their
childcare provider. It is the student’s responsibility to pay their
child care provider.
Maximum Term of Award:
- Students in an academic program must be enrolled at least half-time and are required
to complete at least 36-quarter hours for credit, or the equivalent in semester
hours, on a yearly basis.
- Participation in the award is limited to a total of six years.
Renewal of Award:
Awards made under this program are renewable provided that:
- The awardee continues to be enrolled in an approved program at an eligible institution;
- The awardee is making satisfactory academic progress, as defined by the institution;
- The awardee completes at least 36-quarter or 24-semester hours for credit on a yearly
- The awardee arranges for the Commission to receive a transcript of the academic
work completed in the prior year of award; and
- Each awardee’s child used to determine eligibility must continue to qualify
under the rules of the program.
- The awardee's child care provider remains registered with the Oregon Department
of Human Services or registered/certified with the Child Care Division of the Oregon
Department of Employment.
For more information, contact:
You may refer to the Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR) for the Oregon Student Child
Care Grant Program, number 575-095, at the following link: http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_500/oar_575/575_tofc.html